Crissy's Running

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Sat, 20 May- Long run 10km+-

Headed off around 11am from home to Hast boardwalk return. w/u jog of 5mins. Then started by easing into run. bpm were sitting around 140 for first few mins. I felt quite awkward and didn't feel i was running properly. It took around 20mins before i was relieved to find my 'sweet spot'. Ah.... rhythm!
Got to J.Beach turn off around 17mins into run. (Sections of dirt and boardwalk.) Such a nice place to run, as it is scenic yet isolated. A few small rises here and there, enough to raise the hr by a couple or so. 30mins on watch, (wasn't far from Hast) so turned around and headed back.
After 40mins i decided to try the Gel i was given many months ago. Ripped it open and tried to eat/drink the stuff. OMG! the stuff was revolting. Pasty, squishy, cough medicine flavoured goop! I noticed it had slowed me down due to the shock factor. I just couldn't believe that this 'apparently fantastic for the body', gel was sooooo yuk! Anyway, i think u get the picture. (thank god i didn't take it to Geelong!)
Got to the entrance of J. Beach and noticed time was perfect. 17mins to go! Not long after that, i noticed my heart rate wasn't dropping. Was sitting around 162 and the rise had long gone. Bloody watch was jammed! Again. (Was prob around 4-5months ago when it happened first time.) By this stage i was beginning to wonder if it was Karma. Hmmm.....
This had thrown me a little too. Although i felt i kept a consistent pace. Even up the slight hill of approx 500m. Took the last turn and headed home. Time was approx 1hr. max hr... got no idea as i sprinted to finish. av was prob around 160 i guess.
Apart from the muck ups, i had a great run overall. This was the first real long run i have done since the half and it felt great to get back into it.

My least favourite thought throughout the run,- '2 of my closest friends are soaking up the qld rays!!'

My favourite thought throughout the run,"cool baby!". My 2.5yr old said this to me when i told her i was going for a run.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:32 pm, Blogger Stu Mac said…

    First one Crissy, a great time to try out the carbo shot was during training, but NEVER without water, you are very lucky you didn't get an instant gut ache!!!

    Secondly, 60 minutes is way to short for a carbo shot.

    Good to hear you got out there and did the 60 minutes, I thought youmanaged 60 in Sydney??

    I hope there was some stretching afterwards.

    SMILE woman!

    Stu
    :-)

     
  • At 2:44 pm, Blogger Sekhmet said…

    I've only tried the gel out once before on a long run - chocolate flavour and was yummy! I took it at about the 14km mark and I found that the benefits didn't kick in until about 18km..... Like Stu said, you need to wash it down with plenty of water - it helps with the absorption otherwise will just sit in your tummy. Sounds like the one you had tasted like poo though! Yuck!!!

     
  • At 12:04 pm, Blogger Chris said…

    Great work Crissy, back on track with those long runs.

    I'm about to start experimenting with Gels etc. on my long runs. Will let you know the results.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home